introduction

Many of you know how the Todd Family feels about journeys. We try to keep an eternal destination always in view, while focusing on finding joy in the way we choose to get there. We are so grateful for the knowledge we have about where we want to ultimately be... in the presence of a loving Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, who made it possible for us to achieve that destination. We have been sent to this earth to see if we can reach our potential, becoming all that Heavenly Father wants us to be. Sometimes the journey back to our Heavenly home takes us through wide, gentle paths and sometimes the road is treacherous and unknown. Regardless, we feel that with every step we take, we should be looking for the beauty around us... learning from our fellow sojourners and relying on the maps that were provided to us to get through. Sometimes it is easy to happily skip along, but often we struggle, wondering if we will make it, and recognizing in the end that we can do hard things that we would have not previously thought possible. These are often the stretches of road that bring the most joy... the difficult ones. We have recently found ourselves on “a road less traveled” and, since we can’t turn around, we have decided to find joy in the opportunity to go there... to become better for having trod this new path. We hope that none of you will have to take this route, and can instead experience the vistas through us as you follow this blog. Here we go... Remember to enjoy the journey!


Sunday, March 4, 2012

"Hit by a Truck" Day

Today is Day 4 for Derek with chemo treatment #1.  He was told by many that this would be his worst day... the day he would feel like he had been hit by a truck.  If this is the bad day, we are very grateful!  He has done well.  He doesn't feel awesome, but he's still been up and around and enjoyed going to church today.  We've been approaching things a bit like someone in the early stages of pregnancy... nibbling on food all day and taking a nap here and there:)  He looks great!  We know he is being sustained by the faith of many prayers.  As always, thank you so much!!

I continue to be amazed at the way our prayers are answered.  Heavenly Father has so many children, but I have absolutely felt his awareness of me, personally!  He knows what we are concerned about and he has heard all prayers offered on our behalf.  I know it!!  I have also been able to apply the atonement of His son, Jesus Christ, in my life more fully as I have let go of my aching heart, with a greater understanding that He already felt those sorrows and I don't need to.  To do so is to deny that atoning power in my life and I will not do that!  I know it is real and I have felt my pain and burdens lifted in a way I have never experienced before.  I have also felt the comforting assurance of the Holy Ghost bear witness to me that all will be well.  I can let Heavenly Father do the hard stuff, as I just do the best I can each day.  I have felt so loved and supported as I have become personally acquainted with They who already know me well, and are helping us through the tiny details of our lives.

Our prayers are being answered by many of you.  I'm sure you don't even know how inspired you all have been!  I'm almost worried to have a thought go through my head of something we might need, because it will surely be sent to the mind of a dear friend, who will then be inspired to help us!:)  Our needs have seriously been met that quickly and specifically!!  We truly appreciate your calls, emails and gifts of kindness.  We have felt loved... and are honestly somewhat befuddled by it.  We hope to someday become something great because of all we are learning from each of you.  Maybe then, all these challenges will be worth it:)  We continue to pray for all of you and the trials we know you, too are facing. We love all of you!  Sorry for my lengthy, potentially cheesey ramblings... but that's where I  am on "truck day."

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful perspective. So glad Derek is feeling ok. Take care of each other. We are praying for all of you and think of you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regina and Derek, you are indeed bound for greatness in that your every action and every word inspires the rest of us to keep faith and garner strength for every day of our lives. We are put here to help one another, so let the work begin in whatever form it may take. Hugs and warm arms surround you. Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to know your Aunt Jane--she has a way of saying exactly what I would like to say, and says it beautifully. So good to know that the truck was padded by hundreds of prayers :). Love you all!

      Delete
  3. Hoping project "walk the dad" is going well! And that he is feeling better after his first treatment and ready for round #2 soon!

    ReplyDelete