introduction

Many of you know how the Todd Family feels about journeys. We try to keep an eternal destination always in view, while focusing on finding joy in the way we choose to get there. We are so grateful for the knowledge we have about where we want to ultimately be... in the presence of a loving Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, who made it possible for us to achieve that destination. We have been sent to this earth to see if we can reach our potential, becoming all that Heavenly Father wants us to be. Sometimes the journey back to our Heavenly home takes us through wide, gentle paths and sometimes the road is treacherous and unknown. Regardless, we feel that with every step we take, we should be looking for the beauty around us... learning from our fellow sojourners and relying on the maps that were provided to us to get through. Sometimes it is easy to happily skip along, but often we struggle, wondering if we will make it, and recognizing in the end that we can do hard things that we would have not previously thought possible. These are often the stretches of road that bring the most joy... the difficult ones. We have recently found ourselves on “a road less traveled” and, since we can’t turn around, we have decided to find joy in the opportunity to go there... to become better for having trod this new path. We hope that none of you will have to take this route, and can instead experience the vistas through us as you follow this blog. Here we go... Remember to enjoy the journey!


Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Philosophical Pause:)

I have been attending a little class each week where we have been studying the parables of the Savior in The New Testament.  Today we were talking about some parables about prayer.  I wrote down several thoughts that I felt would help me to focus my prayers a little better and was glad to be reminded that it is okay for us to be persistent in praying for things that are important to us, whether they are temporal needs or not.  One particular comment was made, actually by my cousin Julie who also attends the class, which I think I really needed to hear.  In an effort to internalize it, I will attempt to verbalize it.  She suggested that we ask ourselves: "Have you prayed about it as much as you have talked to other people about it?"

I couldn't help but think of all the people that I talk to, about things I worry about... things I am grateful for... things I have concerns about...  I know that Heavenly Father knows what is in my heart and mind, but do I talk to Him about them as much as I talk to other people?  Probably not.

I was reminded that I should share more in my prayers about the joys I experience each day as a mother.  I should talk through my concerns with Him just as passionately as I do with those who are so good to listen to me.  I should spend the same quality time in prayer that I enjoy spending in meaningful conversations with my dear friends and family.  I hope to be better about this because I know that He listens.  His time is precious and I don't want to waste it with insignificant ramblings and wishlists.  I might even spend a little extra time listening, in fact... or maybe "feeling" is the word I'm looking for... a little extra time feeling, because I know He cares enough to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment