introduction

Many of you know how the Todd Family feels about journeys. We try to keep an eternal destination always in view, while focusing on finding joy in the way we choose to get there. We are so grateful for the knowledge we have about where we want to ultimately be... in the presence of a loving Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, who made it possible for us to achieve that destination. We have been sent to this earth to see if we can reach our potential, becoming all that Heavenly Father wants us to be. Sometimes the journey back to our Heavenly home takes us through wide, gentle paths and sometimes the road is treacherous and unknown. Regardless, we feel that with every step we take, we should be looking for the beauty around us... learning from our fellow sojourners and relying on the maps that were provided to us to get through. Sometimes it is easy to happily skip along, but often we struggle, wondering if we will make it, and recognizing in the end that we can do hard things that we would have not previously thought possible. These are often the stretches of road that bring the most joy... the difficult ones. We have recently found ourselves on “a road less traveled” and, since we can’t turn around, we have decided to find joy in the opportunity to go there... to become better for having trod this new path. We hope that none of you will have to take this route, and can instead experience the vistas through us as you follow this blog. Here we go... Remember to enjoy the journey!


Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nineteen and Counting

Nineteen years previous to this very moment, Derek and I were married in the incredibly beautiful Manti Temple for time and eternity. It was the perfect day... at least for us. I've thought often of all the friends and family that had to get up super early that morning in order to travel the multiple hours required to be in attendance at our 9:15 ceremony. You may not have thought it so perfect:) We loved you for your sacrifice to be there. We still remember every person that was with us at the temple, at the luncheon, and at our reception that made us feel loved and special.

Because my memories of that day are so vivid, it seems like it could have been yesterday. But as I think of all the friends and family that were not with us that day because we hadn't met them yet, or they hadn't joined the family yet, it's amazing to me that more time hasn't gone by. Our lives are so much richer because of the friends we've made over the years and the siblings that have been added to our family through marriage... they are all awesome! Thanks for being part of our journey!

We're especially thankful for the six kids that have joined us here. When I see my big kids doing big kid things, I know that nineteen years really have passed. How else could we have a house full of teenagers?! Tanner is starting his senior year in a couple of months... soon to turn eighteen. He is anxious and ready to serve a mission for our church and be out on his own. He's a great helper to me and a fun brother to his younger siblings. He's paved a nice path for them to follow with his involvement in many things. He and Matthew took out most of our old deck yesterday, which was hard work, but I think they may have even enjoyed it. Destruction apparently breeds feelings of manliness:) Matthew is running Cross Country again. He loves that and is enjoying his break from school. He would love to be working but hasn't found a job yet. The boys and Haddie will be attending a Pioneer Trek this week at Martin's Cove so they are looking forward to that. Haddie just returned from a fun girls camp and is counting down the days until her friend from Colorado comes to visit. She is officially fifteen now and is hoping to get her driving permit soon (argggh... three teen drivers!). Austin will be thirteen this week and just got back from a youth leadership training scout camp yesterday. He enjoys hanging out with his friends and finding fun things to do. Savannah and Normandy, too. We're hoping to spend many more hours at pools and water parks as the summer months continue. All of the kids, even Savannah and Normandy, have been volunteering at the Literacy Center for a couple of hours each week, and I think that has been fun for them. I'm pretty sure none of them need me around anymore, but they let me hang out with them once in a while anyway!:)

Derek is doing great and feeling good. He's recently had to deal with a bit of a water crisis at work... always fun when the city you manage is getting major news coverage!? The Lehi Roundup week is this week so we will be busy with that as well and he started framing the shed yesterday. Happily his most recent tumor marker count had gone down, which was a bit surprising, truthfully, but awesome news since the last three had been steadily climbing. I sewed some window treatments for my kitchen and hope to recover some throw pillows this week.  I'm also still enjoying the digital scrapbooking, when I have time. Life is good and I'm so grateful for the nineteen years I have had with Derek. Happy Summer to you all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO glad to hear things are going well for you all!! When you head up North, you need to call me so we can meet somewhere! (I can't believe you've been in Utah this long and I haven't seen you!)
    Kate

    ReplyDelete